Sometimes when I’m invited to visit a customer to “optimize their high available virtual machine manager”, I normally see following configuration.
When I ask why they say it is high available, they normally tell me that they can move the machine from one host to another. Normally i ask now “And what happens when you need to patch the SQL DB, VMM or Windows Server or the storage fail?”
Here comes the point where most people realize that high availability means other things than moving services from A to B.
So now let us think what we need to get our VMM Server high available.
On the VMM Site we need following parts:
- two VMM Management Servers running in a Cluster
- two Database Servers running in a Cluster
- two Fileserver running in a Cluster as Library server
- two Hyper-V Hosts for VM Placement
- two Storages with Storage Replication
When it comes to a very big Hyper-V and VMM Environment, I would suggest to run you Management Systems in a separated Hyper-V Cluster. That helps you to keep your VM workload running even when you need to take down your fabric cluster in maintenance mode.