today I want to show you how to setup a disk to cloud backup with the new cloud backup feature from synology storage. In my environment I use Azure as backup target.
Why do I use Azure?
I backup some of my important VMs to Azure as desaster recovery. So if my local systems fail I fire up the VMs in Azure.
1. You need to create a new Azure Storage were you store your data. From a security standpoint I would not suggest to use a storage shared with other Azure services you have.
2. After you created one you need to create a new management access key. We will need it later.
3. Now the needed preparations on Azure are done. Next Logon to your Synology and select the Backup & Replication Plugin.
4. Now you click create and select the backup typ you want.
File Backup – You can select Files and Folder you want to backup.
LUN Backup – Backups a complette LUN on Synology LUN on Azure
5. Now you select “Public Cloud Backup Destination”
6. Now you select Backup to Azure
7. Now you enter your Azure Storage account data and create a new storage container
8. Now enter your container name you want to use
9. When everything went well it should look like on the picture below
10. In the next step you need to select the volume and share or LUN you want to backup
11. Here you can also select applications to backup. I won’t do that in my szenario.
12. In the last step you need to do transfer, backup and shedule settings.